Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What I have learned is that Project Adventure can be used in my future - a student's reflection

Hamilton Wenham High School is where PA began. And continues. This reflection, written by a student, is included on page 12 of the November 2008 - Hamilton Wenham Regional High School Syllabus.

"Project adventure has challenged me to put more trust in my
classmates and to deal with my large fear of heights. I find it difficult to
function any more than ten feet off the ground, so relying on others to
keep me from falling was not high on my agenda list. Project adventure
forced me into these circumstances and made me have to believe in my
own abilities and other people around me.

I learned that I can cooperate with other people well, when I give
up on being the leader, but do not put aside my own recommendations.
I must strike a balance between being bossy and holding back my own
ideas.

To my classmates, I would like to be known as a good listener and
to appear in control of myself. I want my classmates to think of me as a
reliable and focused person who can try their best, even if my best is not
up to their standards. I influence that image by putting a lot of effort
into every initiative we do, so I do not slow them down, being seen as a
participator rather then a slacker.

What I have learned is that project adventure can be used in my
future. Cooperating with a group of people that I am not close with is a
social skill used in the workplace. Teams are often put together to
accomplish a goal together that they would not be able to accomplish by
themselves. Getting across the wire on the "lifeline" with others is not
far different than a meeting of employees balancing a company’s budget.
Both require a high level of participation and cooperation".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice testimony about Project adventure. Even I feel the nice things when I think about Project adventure.

I read a book called " No Props" I think project adventure involved in it. I still remember the author name is Mark Collard or something. It is really a great book and I would like to know when he is releasing the next book.

I purchased it from a website called http://www.inspireyourgroup.com

Thanks Project adventure keep up the great work

Beth said...

The newest book by Mark Collard is called "Count Me In - Large Group Activities That Work"
$28.00 plus S/H.
#71623

On the web site you listed, the book says over 300 activities. That is actually in accurate. There are 140 activities and then variations on activities. I want to be sure you have the right info. The book will be available at www.pa.org or by calling 1-800-468-8898 x4556. The site you list is in Melbourne, Australia and is Mark's site. The books are published by PA and so our US friends will be better served by purchasing direct. Our friends from Australia will be better served by going direct through Mark's site. As soon as the book is live on the shelves...(expected next week)...we'll send an email, post on this list, and include some sample activities. Thanks for the words on No Props