Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Old Bridge High School, New Jersey Flies With PA

Cheryl Mackey, PE Teacher at Old Bridge wrote to tell us what a great experience she had in her training with PA trainer Bill Klag. When we asked her to say more, she told us:

"My Project Adventure expierence has been awesome. Our school, Old Bridge High School, was awarded the Carol White Pep Grant. " PA built both the indoor and outdoor challenge courses at Old Bridge. Carol says, "We have both an indoor course and an amazing outdoor course. My collegues and I signed up for the Adventure Programming and had a blast. We met so many new people and made some good friends. The sequencing of the activities permitted myself and other individuals to challenge ourselves at a comfortable pace. Even though I am petrified of heights I was able to do almost all the high elements because I had faith in my belay team. I was able to step outside my comfort zone and expierence an amazing rush. As of right now at least 4 of my co-workers, including myself are working towards getting our Masters degree in Adventure Learning/Project Adventure".

"I am currently teaching both an indoor class and an outdoor class of Project Adventure. Our curriculum requires that the sophomores take Project Adventure indoors, while the juniors and seniors can take the outdoor course as an elective for Phys. Ed. The kids love the program and its a great feeling to watch them open up, grow and challenge themselves more and more as the year goes on. Project Adventure has helped my sophomore class become the amazing Phys. Ed. class I knew they could be".

In speaking about some of the less engaged student's in P.E., Cheryl talks with excitement about taking this group on next year. And "getting them to like P.E more by giving them the opportunity to experience Project Adventure. We also just started a Project Adventure club, which I am 1 of 4 advisors".

We look forward to hearing from Cheryl and from her Project Adventure Club attendees about how the year progresses!

No comments: